Friday 26 August 2016

Thinking about conferences as places for thinking

My friend Brendan Larvor runs a blog on the ethics of philosophy and philosophy teaching with his colleague John Lippitt. Brendan kindly invited me to contribute something. So I wrote a rather long diatribe on some of the problems I have with academic conferences. It is here:

https://manifestvirtue.wordpress.com/2016/08/26/thinking-about-conferences-as-places-for-thinking/

I've been involved in the organisation of several conferences and been to many more. So take this as an essay in self-criticism, both individually and on behalf of philosophy and bioethics as communities, not as a criticism of any particular conference. Of course, if you recognise your own conference experiences in what I have written here, that's evidence in support of my argument - and not of your ingenuity or accuracy in decoding my blogpost-à-clef!

No comments:

Post a Comment